Many managers are eager to compliment but often neglect to criticize. It is so hard to tell another grown-up when they have done something incorrectly. But managers are responsible for helping others grow and need to help mentor their employees.
Here are a few guidelines to follow to help employees gain new skills:
- Specify the behavior and criticize the behavior – never the individual.
- Be specific in your criticism – don’t generalize.
- Say something positive about the person.
- Show how you can work on the problem behavior as a team.
- Understand how the employee feels and show your empathy.
- Show your confidence in the employee.
~ Written for us by our associate Gary Sorrell, Sorrell Associates, LLC. Copyright protected. All rights reserved.